I’m pretty sure I’m late on this, but for a while there the 25 Random Things About Me Meme was all the rage on Facebook. And I kinda sorta ignored all those tags I got. But never fear — now that my Vermont College of Fine Arts packet is out the door, I’m happy to present my 25 random things.
1. When I was growing up, my brother and I shared a car. Jenny, the Mighty Topaz — a dirty red, ’87 Mercury Topaz. She was like a lot a women I knew in my younger days; temperamental, prone to overheating, always wanting me to give her money. But just like any good woman, whenever I need her, she was there…except for that time she broke down in Chunky, Mississippi in the middle of the night.
2. When I was in the first grade, I had a dream that the Cat in the Hat was trying to kill me. Except he was wearing a lampshade instead of a hat. And he was firing invisible bullets.
3. I’ll be on a panel with John Green and Wendy Litchman at TLA this April. The good news — people will come because they want to hear John Green. The bad news — people may come because they ONLY want to hear John Green.
4. I have the preliminary cover for Saving Maddie. I’ll probably post it sometime next month.
5. My pants size in high school was 29” / 30” waist by 34” inseam. My pants size now is 30” / 31” waist by 34” inseam.
6. Mrs. V hates when I bring up my clothing size.
7. When I was in college, a girl thought it was sexy to insert her tongue in my ear. The entire time, I kept wondering if I had remembered to clean my ears that morning.
8. I like meat. I hate it when people steal meat from my plate (you know who you are).
9. If I go too long without writing, I’m not a nice person to be around.
10. I worry that I worry about the wrong things.
11. I have a love / hate relationship with all of my jobs.
12. I once worked as a fundraiser for the University of Oklahoma. I would call people and ask them to donate money to the school. Some people were nice. Others hung up on me. And some people cursed me out. Either way, I had to end my call with a “thank you.”
13. I probably curse more than I should.
14. The idea of having a baby thrills me.
15. The idea of having a baby terrifies me. (FYI, we are not pregnant)
16. Supposedly, white men can’t jump. Neither can black, 6’-0”, 150 pound writers / engineers.
17. I suck at sending out thank you cards. I also suck at buying birthday / wedding / holiday presents. So if you didn’t get something from me, don’t feel bad.
18. However, if you do feel bad about not receiving a card / gift / invitation / whatever, blame Mrs. V. That’s what I always do.
19. I am in love with the Number 9 sandwich from Jimmy John’s.
21. I almost cried when Mufasa died in The Lion King. Almost.
22. Some people say that I laugh like a hyena.
23. Gummi Bears are my kryptonite.
24. I’ve broken both of my ankles, though not at the same time.
25. A lot of people still call me Chad. A lot of people call me Chadwick. A lot call me Varian. And a lot call me V. I answer to just about anything.